Saturday, March 12, 2011

Weeks 6 and 7

Dear Maddie,
Guess who started developing a personality over the last couple of weeks?  YOU!  That baby who was so easy going and calm is now a little more feisty!  When you don't like something we know.  We may not know what you don't like or why but we definitely know you aren't happy.  And who knew you were a screamer!?!  I mean...screamin' bloody murder!!!!  I have to admit that as concerned as I am at why you are screaming and as much as I try to fix whatever is bothering you and calm you, I laugh sometimes.  That's all I can do sometimes...laugh.  Thank goodness you don't cry or scream often.  I hate it when you are unhappy and to see tears in your little blue eyes makes my heart ache.


I've learned a lot these past couple of weeks.  I've learned how much your feeding schedule matters.  When I push you a little too far when we are out and about or let you skip a feeding entirely when you are sleeping in the mornings it makes for hard days.  So I take the blame myself for a lot of your fussiness those days.  There have only been a couple, thank goodness.  Today we stuck to your feeding schedule and you slept from 8:30 in the morning until 5:30 at night and after a good nights sleep!  We went to several stores and you slept through all of them.  You're a night owl like your Daddy.  You were awake from 5:30 until 10:30.


This week you followed your Daddy with your eyes which is a big deal!  Usually you stare at whatever your head is facing but your Daddy walked by while you were on your activity mat and you followed him with your eyes!  I was so excited I shouted it out!  Then in the very same few minutes you batted at a toy that was hanging on your activity mat a few times in a row.  It may have been an accident but it seems that you are discovering your hands more and more.


Your favorite thing to do though...hands down...stare at the ceiling fan in our living room while you are eating.  I even caught you smiling at the fan the other day.  It was really cute.

You and I had our first picnic yesterday...well, kind of.  It was our first beautiful day in a while and I wanted you to get out and enjoy some fresh air so I took you to Faust Park after some shopping.  I packed a bottle for this exact reason before shopping.  I knew we would stop somewhere and feed you outside.  I was excited.  We got to the park and sat on a bench next to the play ground, took you out of your stroller and started feeding your bottle when the wind picked up and turned a nice sunny day into a cold windy disappointment.  I put you back in your stroller and we headed to the car where we sat and finished your bottle for half an hour.  Boo!  We went home from there and wouldn't you know it, the weather was nice again.  Oh well.


I bought you a book this week.  It's called "On the night you were born."  It's such a beautiful book and it speaks perfectly to how I felt the night you were born, I cried as I read it to you the first time.  To me, the world stood still the day you were born.  It still stops every time you cry or smile or even just look cute.  You're amazing.


Love,
Mommy






ANGEL'S LULLABY

I was never alive

'Til the day I was blessed with you.
When I hold you late at night,
I know what I was put here to do.
I turn off the world and listen to you sigh,
And I will sing my Angel's Lullaby.

Know I'm forever near,

The one you can always call.
Right now all you know to fear
Are the shadows on your wall.
I'm here close enough
To kiss the tears you cry,
And I will sing my Angel's Lullaby.

So tell me how to stop the years from racing.

Is there a secret someone knows?
I'll never catch all the memories I'm chasing.
I'll never be ready to let go.

And when the world seems cold,

And you feel that all of your strength is gone,
There may be one tiny voice,
Your reason to carry on,
And when I'm not close enough
To kiss the tears you cry,
You will sing your Angel's Lullaby.
Let this be our Angel's Lullaby.

No comments:

Post a Comment