Thursday, August 11, 2011

A new school

Well, Maddie...I had to make my first decision based purely on "mommy instinct" this week.  You're headed to a new school next month.  We went to the meet and greet at your new school last night and I know you will be much happier there. 

Daddy and I believed whole heartedly when I was pregnant that we had found a great school for you at Cambridge.  We asked a lot of questions and felt good about your new school.  We put you on the waiting list before you were born!  You started attending this school when you were a couple of months old so you were pretty little and couldn't do much.  Daddy would drop you off in the morning and I would pick you up.  For the first couple of months I didn't mind that you were in a swing or a bouncy seat when I arrived as there wasn't too much more you could do but I started making mental notes of what you were doing everyday when I picked you up after you turned five months and you were still laying in swings or bouncers.  I would show up at different times in the afternoon and you would always be laying somewhere. 

I finally wrote the director and told her what I had been seeing and simultaneously started looking for a new school for you to attend.  It didn't matter to me whether or not your current school did anything to fix the problem.  I was unhappy that you weren't being engaged more to begin with and therefore that school was on my bad list. 

The director emailed me back and was pretty non-challant about what I had told her.  The head of the nursery talked to me about my letter one day while picking you up.  She explained that the class does most of it's interactive play in the mornings.  This still didn't sit well with me.  It wasn't okay to me that you just lay around all afternoon, I wanted better for you.

We found a better school.  I am so excited for you.  I only had to visit one more school to find you the perfect place.  It's called Goddard and you will never be bored and you will always be engaged in learning and play time.  There are no swings or bouncy seats in their classrooms which made me so happy.  You will have music class every day and so much more.  We went to the meet and greet last night and brought you with us.  Daddy saw the school for the first time.  We met your teacher Ms. Judy who is very nice and well loved by all of her little students.  She is in the chipmunk room where you will be. 



The director originally told me they wouldn't be able to get you in until January.  It hurt me to think of you staying at your current day care for five more months and you turning one year old before I could get you out of your old school but I had a plan!  I was going to take you with me and let them see your little face.  How could they say no to such a cute baby!  I picked you up from daycare and arrived with you in my arms.  I had the enrollment form filled out and a check for a deposit.  I talked to one of the coordinators and she magically found room in the chipmunk room so you will be starting September 27th!  YAY!  The chipmunk room is a transitional classroom and not the classroom you would be in normally but it's still for children under one year old and you will be eight months by the time you start so it's perfect. 

It feels so good to know that I followed my mommy instinct and that you will benefit.  I guess it was my first big "test" as a Mommy.  I want only the best for you.  I believe you are going to grow like a little flower in this new school and that what you learn in this school will benefit you for years to come.  I am happy for you sweet girl.  I can't wait to pick you up in the afternoons and see you playing with toys and learning instead of lying on your back.  You deserve the best.

I love you, love buggie.

Mommy

1 comment:

  1. you go, mommy. you will always know best when it comes to maddie---never question that intuition!!

    ReplyDelete