Monday, May 16, 2011

Your fourth month


 

Dear Madelyn,

My four month old big girl!  This was an AMAZING month my little love bug.  You had many firsts and you are getting to be more and more fun as you get older and that personality of yours is really developing!  You've been sick for the large part of this last month.  It started with a cold, then it was on to an ear infection and now it's allergies!  You poor thing.  You're still snorting like a little piggy and this morning I had to clean your nose out before you even got dressed.  You screamed bloody murder and I can't say I blame you. 


I am learning so much about being a Mama.  It's not that hard to be a Mom but it's really difficult to be a GOOD Mom.  Everyday I try to put your needs before my own.  I don't do anything for myself until I know you are fed, changed, spent quality face time together, have been read to, had tummy time and done your upsie daisies.  If anyone of these things haven't been met by bed time each day I don't feel I did my part as your Mama.  I love all of those things though.  I love to see you look at your books with interest.  I love to see your progress (although very slow...) on tummy time.  I love to interact with you and make you smile.  It's all so worth it.  I put every bit of energy I have into you.


I've learned to trust my Mama instinct.  A couple of days before Mother's Day I started to believe you had an ear ache.  My own ears were hurting and we had been sick together.  I would hold you as you would cry a pain riddled cry and wince in pain.  I knew your ears were bothering you.  I took you to the Doctor and sure enough you had impacted ear wax and an ear infection.  You were placed on antibiotics.  I walked into the Doctors office unsure of what was wrong with you because other's doubted my beliefs, but I walked out of the Doctor's office feeling like I should be wearing the Mom of the Month award.  It felt so good to know that I can tell what's wrong with you.  Just like I know your cries, I know your signals.  I know when something is wrong.  I have learned in four short months to read you with my eyes and with my heart.  
I'm leaving for my first business trip today Maddie.  This is so unbelievably hard for me.  You are my number one priority, yet, I am leaving you for four days.  I have no option.  It isn't fair and this is not what I had in mind after maternity leave but life isn't fair.  I am lucky and so are you.  You are in good hands, you have a very capable and loving Daddy who will take good care of you and adores you.  He's a little nervous so I hope you will take it easy on him.  
My favorite miles stones you reached this month are laughing and actually sitting and looking at books.  I'm looking forward to more.  The next few months are going to be so great.  I have a huge smile on my face just thinking about all that is in store for us!




BABY STATS:

Sleep:
:)  You haven't slept through the night in quite a while but you haven't been feeling well either.  Your Daddy and I are still taking turns getting up with you every night although this week your Daddy has night duty three nights in a row while I am out of town.


We are working with you and trying the Ferber Method to get you to take naps in your bed.  You lay down at night with out any issue but you don't like to take naps in your bed.  We lay you down, let you cry for five minutes, then come in to reassure you that you are okay, let you cry for 7 minutes, and repeat the process, extending the length of time inbetween our visits.  You usually only cry a few minutes and fall to sleep but you don't sleep long at all.  If we let you nap in your swing you will sleep and hour to three hours, when we let you nap in your crib you sleep for 15-30 minutes all total with crying inbetween!  We'll keep working at it.




Daily Routine:
You are settling into a routine.  Each day you generally take a morning, mid-day and afternoon nap and sometimes you doze off a little before bedtime.  So I would say three to four naps a day.  You are going to bed around 7:30 to 8:30. 

Feedings:  You have been eating really well lately!  Maybe you are going through a growth spurt?  You have been eating five to six ounces and the teachers at your daycare are even excited!  You've been consistently eating 5-6 ounces for a couple of weeks.  We may have to add another scoop of formula to your bottles!  Growing Girl!

Weight:  
4 months: 16 lbs
Length:
At birth: 20.25 inches
2 weeks: 19 3/4 inches (26th percentile) 
Not sure how you shrunk since birth!
2 months:  22.75 inches (67th percentile)
3 months: Not sure
4 months:  XX
 

Diaper Size:
 Still size ones .

Clothes Size:
3-6 months, some 6 month clothes and even a couple of 9 month outfits!  Still outgrowing your sleepers like crazy!!! 


Hair Color:
At birth: dark brown
2 months: light brown 
3 months: lighter brown 
4 months: dirty blonde - so beautiful!  Mommy is jealous!

Eye color:
At birth: dark blue
2 months: blue
3 months: lighter blue
4 months:  the prettiest blue I have ever seen.  Your Daddy says your eyes are prettier than his!  Now that's something!


Funniest Moment:
You laughed for the first time!  I was reading to you  last week and the book we were reading had a mirror in the back.  I made a funny face and a funny noise to get you to see me in the mirror and you let out your first laugh!  I yelled to your Daddy that you laughed and he came running in.  You did it again but you wouldn't do it just one more time for the video camera!  We're going to record that laugh!  It was the best sound....next to your sweet coo'ing.



Milestones:
Your neck is still getting stronger. 
Tummy time is now done with you on a boppy pillow. 
We also lay you on your side by rolling you on your blanket.
You are reaching and grasping at things when they are in front of you, even sitting in your high chair.  I saw you reach for a toy on your high chair table yesterday.
You are lifting your legs and bringing them into your chest now instead of just laying flat.
You coo and babble more.  You're a talking machine!  I told your Daddy I wish I could bottle up your sweet noises and sell them!
Eye contact -  Daddy and I are constantly doing silly faces and talking to you.  I sit and sing to you while you are in your swing.  You love it when I sing to you and your teachers at Daycare said you love the Itsy Bitsy Spider!
Mirrors - You love looking at yourself in the Mirror.  You smile so big and are so entertained!



Your favorite toys:You love your activity mats (STILL) - you have two of them and you love them both.  You are showing a large interest in books now and I am hoping this will be the month you start enjoying your bumbo chair.  You aren't too sure about it as of right now. 




Firsts:
First time in your baby bjorn.





First laugh May 2011


First time in your high chair.  I put you in this while I cook and you become my little seux chef!  I can't wait until we cook together one day.  I am looking forward to teaching you.






















First time looking at your feet and putting them together.  We were at dinner with Les at Deweys and you did this in your car seat. April 25
Reaching and grabbing for the first time May 15


First time to the park to watch Daddy and Papa play tennis.  You took a nap in the shade.  It was a sweet moment.










You karate kick the wall when you are getting your clothes changed!  It's so funny.  When you are mad or happy you kick!  We put socks with rattles on your feet and you make all kinds of noises kicking!


 Here's you in your car seat...





One more thing...you attended your first wedding!  Prince William and Kate Middleton got married and you attended!  



I love you Maddie.  You are so beautiful.  You are everything and more than I dreamed you would be.  I couldn't have envisioned how beautiful of a baby you would be.  You are so special.  I struggle to even put words to how incredibly special you are.
 
Mommy


 











No comments:

Post a Comment